Wednesday, December 17, 2008

THE MEANING OF A NAME (Early release of Shepherd to Sheep)

SHEPHERD TO SHEEP


THE MEANING OF A NAME

(Isa 7:14) …Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.

(Isa 9:6) … And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.


You’ve probably seen your name on a key chain or something like that with the meaning of your name next to it. Usually in the gift shop all the names have positive meanings. Louie means “famous warrior.” Sometimes I wonder if they are stretching the truth so you will make a purchase! But what about the name of the Messiah? He would be given a name by the angel Gabriel of “Jesus”…for He will save His people from their sins." (Mat 1:21; Luke 1:31) But Isaiah hinted at His name 700 years before He came.

IMMANUEL – (Mat 1:23) "Behold, the virgin shall be with child, and bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated, "God with us." The Lord became a man (John 1:14). He understands our frailty (Heb 4:15-16). He’ll never leave us or forsake us! (Heb 13:5)

WONDERFUL – (Mat 21:15) …the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that He did, and the children crying out in the temple and saying, "Hosanna to the Son of David!"… (Psa 72:18) Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, Who only does wondrous things! Why do I wonder about things I don’t understand when I should wonder at the greatness of our God?

COUNSELOR – (Isa 28:29) This also comes from the LORD of hosts, Who is wonderful in counsel and excellent in guidance. The Lord listens to me when I tell Him my concerns about today and my worries about tomorrow. No one else can figure me out except Jesus! (my wife is close!!)

MIGHTY GOD – Another prophecy from the Old Testament concerning the deity of the coming Messiah. (Titus 2:13) looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

EVERLASTING FATHER – A contradiction of the Trinity? No, it just means “father of eternity” and emphasizes the eternal reign of the Messiah. (Rev 11:15) …"The kingdoms of this world have become the kingdoms of our Lord and of His Christ, and He shall reign forever and ever!"

PRINCE OF PEACE – I love this name of the Lord. How I need abiding peace from the Prince of Peace! (John 14:27) "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

(Psa 113:2) Blessed be the name of the LORD From this time forth and forevermore!

Louie

No comments: