Friday, December 12, 2008

HEALTH TIP


Want a health tip from the Bible?

(Ruth 2:14) Now Boaz said to her at mealtime, "Come here, and eat of the bread, and dip your piece of bread in the vinegar." So she sat beside the reapers, and he passed parched grain to her; and she ate and was satisfied, and kept some back.

We studied this last week at midweek service. I mentioned that portion control is nothing new. Fad diets never work. Remember the Atkins and South Beach fads? And the tons of fad diets before that? (Remember the Grapefruit diet?!)

Ruth ate until she was satisfied. And then she kept some back. We don't have to eat everything on our plate! Take a mental picture of your plate and tell yourself how much you're going to eat. Slow down and enjoy your food. It's true it takes ten minutes before your stomach catches up to your taste buds. Why shovel it in when you next meal is just a few hours away?

Portion control is just good old self control. Don't have any you say? Here's good news:

(Gal 5:22-23) But the fruit of the Spirit is...self-control....

Hallelujah! There is help for us yet!

Now I took a risk teaching this as I know most of us struggle with our weight. I don't want to get off on issues like politics, social issues, or even weight control. But I really tried to share this in grace as our weight is such a personal and sensitive issue.

Well guess what? A brother in the Lord came up to me a week later at Bible study and said he really enjoyed me sharing this health tip as it really helped him a lot. Praise God!

Now don't worry, I'm not going to write any health book soon or go off on the "Christian lifestyle" circuit. But I just think it's interesting that through the Word we find all things that pertain to life and godliness...including health tips! (2 Pet 1:3)

Woops! Got to sign off. I'm hungry!

1 comment:

John said...

Hi Pastor Louie,
I too was very motivated after the message on "keeping some back". I needed to hear that and God knew it. I have been going to prayer and asking God to put that self control in my heart and to give me a desire to go to the gym. I really liked that you said that we are to pray and then wait on the Lord. If I try yo do it in my own strength I will never succeed. Thanks so much, for just being faithful to share what the Lord was showing you. It blessed Cece and I for sure.

God bless,
John Davis