Wednesday, October 29, 2008

THE PARENT OF MY POLITICS (Early release of Shepherd to Sheep)


SHEPHERD TO SHEEP

THE PARENT OF MY POLITICS

. . . Your word is truth. (John 17:17)

Politics. They say not to discuss it with your friends because it will divide you over ideologies. But I don’t find that to be the case. My Christian brothers seem to agree with me and I with them over most political issues. And why is that? It’s because there is a parent to our politics . . . and that is the Word of God!

You see, I believe in the truths of the Bible for today’s world and it’s issues. I firmly assent to the fact that God’s Word is truth and is relevant for all time and cultures. Circumstances and civilizations might change over the sands of time but God’s Word never changes! So therefore I look at life with a Biblical world view. My personal feelings or ideas do not matter. The Word of God is what matters. It’s not what I think to be right or wrong but what the Bible says. Therefore my politics reflect what I read in Scripture.

I admit my politics clash with my contemporary generation. And I don’t see it as conservative vs. liberal but Biblical vs. non-Biblical thinking. Even “conservative” today could be liberal because of the changing trends in politics. I’ll be careful in regards to any particular group because they might not represent me fully in my ground of truth from the Word. I test everything through the grid of the Bible (Acts 17:11).

Issues such as education, war, government spending, abortion, the definition of marriage, programs for the needy, etc. are processed through a transformed mind through Christ (Rom. 12:2; Phil. 2:5). Who I am going to vote for and how I am going to decide the issues and propositions will not be politically motivated but Biblically appropriated. Some might call that narrow and leaving no room for pragmatism or expediency but it’s not up to me to decide. I’ve already decided for God’s truth to be the lamp to my feet and a light to my path (Psalm 119:105).

And so I pray and so I vote and let the Word of God be the parent of my politics.

Louie

No comments: