Sunday, October 26, 2008

AMERICA'S GODLY HERITAGE



Here are some of my notes from this morning's message on our nation's godly heritage. (1 Ki 18:37) "Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that You are the LORD God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again."

Quotes from our forefathers:

- President George Washington wrote; "I am sure that never was a people, who had more reason to acknowledge a Divine interposition in their affairs, than those of the United States: and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten that agency, which was so often manifested during our Revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them."

- Thomas Jefferson, 1781 - "God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."

- Benjamin Franklin: Constitutional Convention, June 28, 1787 - And have we now forgotten this powerful Friend? or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived for a long time, 81 years; and the longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?

- John Adams: " …Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.”

- Abraham Lincoln: " … I know the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer, that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."

--------------------

Since the Supreme Court banned school prayer in 1963:

o the murder rate tripled;

o Violent crime went up 544%;

o Prior to 1963, divorce had been declining for 15 consecutive years. After 1963, the divorce rate more than doubled;

o unwed birth rates 10-14 years of age shot up 553% by 1983;

o Sexually transmitted disease rates (15-19 years of age range) shot up 226% by 1975;

o the percent of children living in fatherless households increased from 6% to 40%.

Want to study more about America's godly heritage? Check out: www.wallbuilders.com

No comments: