Wednesday, February 17, 2010

HOUSE CLEANING


SHEPHERD TO SHEEP

HOUSE CLEANING

(Deu 7:26) "Nor shall you bring an abomination into your house, lest you be doomed to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest it and utterly abhor it, for it is an accursed thing.

God told Israel that when they came into the Promised Land they were to dispossess the Canaanites from the land and to burn their idols so they wouldn’t be a temptation to them. He even went so far as to warn them to not bring any abomination of the pagan nations into their houses lest they be destroyed like the idols themselves. They were to despise the idol as an accursed thing by God.

Paul said we are to "abhor what is evil, cling to what is good" (Rom. 12:9). The Psalmist said it this way, “You love righteousness and hate wickedness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You With the oil of gladness more than Your companions” (Psa 45:7).

As believers, our homes are to be a place that glorifies God. We can experience the vexation of the world around us all throughout the day but then come home to a place of refuge and sanctuary because like Joshua we have declared, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord! (Joshua 24:15). No wonder God encouraged Israel to not bring an abomination into their house. When we’re out rubbing shoulders with the world we have no control over that environment, but when we’re home it is a place dedicated to the Lord and one in which Christ should feel at home in.

Now based upon all that, why would we let ungodly TV programming into our household? Or music that is immoral, blasphemous, or antichrist? Or why would we surf the world wide web and fall into a worldly web of sin? The same goes for books and magazines, etc. That would be bringing an abomination into our house.

David’s encouragement would be this, “I will behave wisely in a perfect way. Oh, when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. {3} I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me. {4} A perverse heart shall depart from me; I will not know wickedness” (Psa 101:2-4).

May the Lord be glorified in our home lives and may our homes be places of inspiration and not abomination.

Time for a little housecleaning?

Louie

No comments: