Thursday, January 7, 2010
RUNNING THE CHRISTIAN RACE
Here are some verses about running the Christian race from our midweek study. May they inspire you to keep in the race for our Lord as it will soon be over and your reward lies with Him!
• (1 Cor 9:24-27) Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.
• (Phil 2:16) holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.
• (Phil 3:13-14) Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
• (2 Tim 2:5) And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.
• (2 Tim 4:7) I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
• (Heb 12:1-2) Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, 2 looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.