SHEPHERD TO SHEEP
So many Christians today have questions about tithing. But what does the Bible say?:
- Tithing means giving a tenth of your income to the Lord and for His kingdom work. Tithe means tenth in Hebrew: (Gen 28:22)…of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You.”
- Tithing is found in the Bible even before the Law of Moses: (Gen 14:20)… And he (Abraham) gave him (Melchizedek) a tithe of all.
- The Jews were to tithe according to the Law of Moses to supply the needs of the priests, Temple, poor and needy, etc.: (Lev 27:30) And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord. (see also Deu 14:28-29)
- God will bless us financially if we tithe: (Mal 3:10) Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the Lord of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
- We will hurt financially if we refuse to tithe: (Mal 3:8-9) “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings. 9 You are cursed with a curse, For you have robbed Me, even this whole nation. (see also Haggai 1:2-11)
- The New Testament teaches us to give generously: (2 Cor 9:6) But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully.
- We are also to give cheerfully: (2 Cor 9:7) So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.
- Our giving should be organized and consistent and not off and on: (1 Cor 16:2) On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper.
- Even those without much means are encouraged to give: (Mark 12:44) for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”
- Give to your local church before you give to outside ministries: (Mal 3:10) Bring all the tithes into the storehouse… (1 Tim 5:18) For the Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain,” and, “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”
- We are not under law but under grace. But if the law says 10% what would grace say?