Wednesday, February 12, 2014

REPAY YOUR PARENTS




SHEPHERD TO SHEEP 

REPAY YOUR PARENTS 

(1 Tim 5:4) But if any widow has children or grandchildren, let them first learn to show piety at home and to repay their parents; for this is good and acceptable before God. 

It seems like forever that you are growing up and are under your parents roof.  Then as time goes by you get on your own but your parents are still your parents and have their role in your life.  But as time slips into the future there is the growing reality that mom and dad are getting older.  They start needing your help.  You begin to see unspoken needs.  You begin to realize that you must spend more time with them, giving them the support they need.  It happens quicker than you think so be ready to REPAY YOUR PARENTS. 

Joseph was the favorite of Jacob’s sons.  His father even made him a coat of many colors.  His brothers got so jealous of this favoritism that they plotted against him.  They sold him to traders going down to Egypt where he was sold to Potiphar, a high ranking official in the Egyptian army.  We all know the story that as time moved on Pharaoh had a dream that only Joseph could interpret.  This propelled Joseph into being number two in the land as he distributed the grain during that seven year famine.  Soon his brothers would visit the land for food and Joseph eventually revealed himself to them and without animosity chose to forgive them and promised to take care of them as well as his father Jacob.  Soon the whole family moved down to Egypt to survive the famine. 

While on the way to Egypt Jacob needed confirmation from the Lord that he was doing the right thing.  God spoke to him and said, “I will go down with you to Egypt, and I will also surely bring you up again; and Joseph will put his hand on your eyes.” (Gen 46:4)  Joseph responsibly took care of his father and brothers and settled them in the land of Goshen.  During Jacob’s declining years Joseph looked after him in every respect.  When Jacob died it says, “Then Joseph fell on his father’s face, and wept over him, and kissed him”. (Gen 50:1) 

When my father was declining I knew I had to step in to help my parents.  I was in the busiest time of my life with my family and ministry but I knew this is what I had to do.  I began to visit more and call more often, offering physical and moral support.  Dr. appointments, fixing things around their home, etc.    When my dad was on hospice I needed to kick it up another level.  I had the intimate experience of my father passing in my presence.  Now it’s time to look after mom.  Lots to do but this is a part of my life now and has been for some time.   

I think of how many years my parents took precious care of me and laid down their lives for my comfort and well-being.  Now things have turned all the way around and here I am taking care of them.  The older you get the more you appreciate your parent’s sacrifice and all they did for you.  What a debt we owe them and no wonder the Bible says to REPAY YOUR PARENTS. 

Louie

No comments: