Wednesday, March 16, 2011

HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY


SHEPHERD TO SHEEP


HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY

(Mark 10:7-9) ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, 8and the two shall become one flesh’; so then they are no longer two, but one flesh. 9Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate.”

Cheryl and I recently celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary so the theme of marriage is fresh on my mind. My recollections of this beautiful creature coming down the aisle to put her hand in mine for life evokes emotions that place me back in time instantly. Then the honeymoon up and down the scenic coast of California. Back to set up our new dwelling and then off to work. A few years later our first child and then another down the line. Both girls beautiful like their mom. Early struggles, patient perseverance, step by step building a life, a family, making that contribution to our society. Overcoming adversity, setbacks, discouragement. Rising out of the ashes to build again.

On our recent overnight getaway Cheryl and I were discussing about did we ever really think through those wedding vows we repeated to each other? And then to look back three decades later and to see that all those scenarios would come to pass in our marriage and family.

For better for worse:
(Job 2:10) …Shall we indeed accept good from God, and shall we not accept adversity?”…

For richer for poorer:
(Phil 4:12-13) I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

In sickness and in health:
(James 5:15) And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up…

No one has a perfect marriage. Even long termers will tell you it’s a lot of work. But God made marriage not only to work but also to last. Here’s a few things we’ve learned along the way:

AVOID PRIDE. Stay humble because the minute you think you’re better or higher than your mate you set yourself up for failure.
(Pro 16:18) Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall.

LOVE UNCONDITIONALLY. Believe the best in him or her, even during those friction times. Never think of your spouse as the enemy because what you believe makes for that reality.
(1 Cor 13:7-8) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8Love never fails…

LEARN TO FORGIVE. You’re going to get hurt with the one you live with. Just think of marriage: Two sinners under one roof! Expect the ouch at times. But don’t hang on to the bitterness. Get mad and then get glad!
(Eph 4:26) “Be angry, and do not sin”: do not let the sun go down on your wrath.

STAY LOYAL. That’s the “till death us do part” of the vows.
(Ruth 1:16-17)…For wherever you go, I will go; wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, And your God, my God. 17Where you die, I will die, And there will I be buried. The Lord do so to me, and more also, If anything but death parts you and me.”

A good marriage takes three. Husband, wife, and Jesus. Then you can say…HAPPY WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!

Louie

+++

1 comment:

Sharon Osborne said...

Happy anniversary, love the message and the wedding picture, thanks for sharing

sharon osborne