(Psa 61:5) …You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name.
Happy birthday George Washington! This week is your birthday and the kids even have the day off of school for President’s Day! Oh, but we remember you for so much more. Along with many of our founding forefathers you have given to us a godly heritage. Unprincipled men are trying to rewrite history to say you did not fear God but we know history is clear on this matter:
FROM GEORGE WASHINGTON'S PRIVATE PRAYER BOOK. "O most glorious God...Direct my thoughts, words and work, wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the Lamb, and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit…Daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy Son Jesus Christ…Thou gavest thy Son to die for me, and hast given me assurance of salvation..."
FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR 1754 – 1763 - Washington was the only officer not shot off of his horse. He found four bullet holes in his clothes and he was not wounded. He stated, " By the all powerful dispensations of providence, I've been protected beyond all human probability or expectation: for I had four bullets through my coat and two horses shot from under me." (The account of this battle appeared in American textbooks for nearly 150 years, but hasn't been seen in one for over 40 years.)
EXCERPT FROM GEORGE WASHINGTON'S FAREWELL ADDRESS: Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports…reason and experience both forbid us to expect, that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle.
So thank-you George. We don’t have a dollar of your money but we have been enriched by your legacy. There’s a battle going on for America’s morals currently but you still are a major figure we look up to and your face is still on our currency. They’re trying to take God out of everything but we are praying to the Lord that your strong example will prevail and that we will not cash in our godly heritage in exchange for our own selfish ways and pride. There are still some of us who believe what the scriptures say…Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people. (Prov 14:34)
A godly heritage…pass it on!
Some extra thoughts about our nation's godly heritage:
(1 Ki 18:37) "Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that You are the LORD God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again."
Quotes from our forefathers:
- President George Washington wrote; "I am sure that never was a people, who had more reason to acknowledge a Divine interposition in their affairs, than those of the United States: and I should be pained to believe that they have forgotten that agency, which was so often manifested during our Revolution, or that they failed to consider the omnipotence of that God who is alone able to protect them."
- Thomas Jefferson, 1781 - "God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the Gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with his wrath? Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
- Benjamin Franklin: Constitutional Convention, June 28, 1787 - And have we now forgotten this powerful Friend? or do we imagine we no longer need His assistance? I have lived for a long time, 81 years; and the longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid?
- John Adams: " …Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people.”
- Abraham Lincoln: " … I know the Lord is always on the side of the right. But it is my constant anxiety and prayer, that I and this nation should be on the Lord's side."
Since the Supreme Court banned school prayer in 1963:
- the murder rate tripled;
- Violent crime went up 544%;
- Prior to 1963, divorce had been declining for 15 consecutive years. After 1963, the divorce rate more than doubled;
- unwed birth rates 10-14 years of age shot up 553% by 1983;
- Sexually transmitted disease rates (15-19 years of age range) shot up 226% by 1975;
- the percent of children living in fatherless households increased from 6% to 40%.
Want to study more about America's godly heritage? Check out: http://www.wallbuilders.com/
Let's say a prayer today for our nation! (1 Tim 2:1-3) Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,